us cpa eligibility

What is US CPA Eligibility Criteria in India? How to Apply for US CPA?

The Certified Public Accountant course (US CPA) is a professional accounting course governed by the AICPA. AICPA stands for American Institute of Certified Public Accountants which is a US-based accounting body. Now that the US CPA exam can be given from anywhere within India, there has been a massive surge in the number of CPA applicants in the past couple of years. 

US CPA Eligibility Criteria 

The eligibility criteria for US CPA can differ based on the state in which you are applying. If you are applying for US CPA outside India, you can only apply in one of the five states that do not require applicants to have a social security number. The states in which you can apply to be a US CPA from India are Washington, Pennsylvania, Guam, Alaska and Montana.

The US has a credit-based system for the evaluation of academics and to be eligible for giving the US CPA exam and earning the license, there are a set number of credits you need to have in your academics. Based on the Indian academic system, the eligibility criteria for US CPA can be stated as follows:

  • Exam – Graduation + 1 year of Post Graduation (120 credits)
  • Licence – Graduation + Post Graduation (150 credits)

In addition to these academic qualifications, the candidate also needs to gain 2,000 hours of work experience which is roughly equivalent to 2 years.

The course structure of the US CPA

The US CPA courses consist of 4 papers. Each of these papers can be given on demand in the months of January, February, April, May, July, August, October and November.

  • Auditing and Attestation (AUD) 
  • Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) 
  • Regulation (REG) 
  • Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)

How to Apply for US CPA

If you are planning to apply for US CPA, you can do so by taking the following steps. 

1. Evaluation

The process of evaluation is done to assess whether you are eligible to give the US CPA exam. You can get your academic evaluation done through different platforms such as the World Education Services (WES) and NASBA International Evaluation Services (NIES).  During the evaluation, your local academic transcripts, i.e. mark sheets will be assessed and translated in such a way that a U.S. based evaluator can understand them. After evaluation, you can submit your academic transcripts and register for the US CPA exam.

2. Registration and payment 

Once your evaluation is complete, you can proceed with your process of registration. During the registration process, You need to pay the registration fees and submit your academic transcripts. After you get your authorization to test, you can lay your exam fees and wait for your NTS (Notice to Schedule). 

3. Appear for the exams

After getting your NTS, you can now schedule the date and time of your exam based on the slot availability. After the exam, once you complete your 2000 hours of work experience, you can apply for the CPA license. 

The process of registration for US CPA can be quite confusing since it involves a lot of technical procedures. At Zell Education, we offer complete registration support for our US CPA students so that all they need to focus on is their preparation for the exams.

Is CPA For you? Confused about it? we have read our blog on how to become a certified public accountant

how to become a cpa

The US CPA qualification is recognised worldwide and can open doors to opportunities in Europe, Asia and North America. If you are an accounting professional looking to boost your career or just curious to learn about the course, we suggest you check out our Certified Public Accountant (CPA) course to learn more.

Can I do CPA after Class 12?

No, you need to have 120 credits to be able to appear for the US CPA exams. In India, you can only do so with 3 years of B.Com and at least 1 year of M.Com.

How much is the total cost of US CPA?

The total cost of the US CPA course in India, including the registration fees, evaluation fees, exam fees and training costs, can be anywhere between INR 3.2 to INR 3.6 lakhs

Can I work in Canada after US CPA?

Yes, since CPA Canada and CPA US have an MRA, you are eligible to gain a CPA Canada licence if you are already a US CPA.

Related Posts

Get 1:1 Free Career Counselling
Talk to our Expert
Get 1:1 Free Career Counselling
Talk to our Expert
Download ACCA Brochure
Your name
Email Address
Contact Information
1 (800) 921 89 15
Download Now
Get Acca Course Details , Syllabus, Eligibility , also our Counselor will get in touch with you.