Finance as an industry is growing at a fast pace and most professionals who are stuck in other fields often tend to find ways to transition into a finance career. If you are one of them, then you also might be looking for some guidance to get into any of the exciting finance fields you have your eyes on. At one simple thought, you might feel that finance as an industry stands separately and has nothing similar to any of the other industries. However, that may not be the case, a lot of other professions such as tech, business management, economics, etc overlap with finance as a career. So gaining finance knowledge and skills may not be as tough as you might think.
In case you are stuck in a profession you don’t enjoy and believe that a career in finance would be the right choice for you, then here are certain ways in which you can transition into a career in finance.
- A keen interest in the financial industry: A career in finance will welcome you with some of the best salary packages and opportunities. However, if you lack interest in this field or anything about this field, your growth in this industry will be limited. Finance is a dynamic field that undergoes multiple changes in a blink of an eye. With market disruptors Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, we see new innovations in this field happening at a faster pace than ever. If you are not updated with the latest changes in the field of finance and investments then it would be difficult to climb up the corporate ladder even if you do transition into a finance career.
- Choose a field based on your interest and then think about the pathway: A common mistake that most professionals make is that they just find an easy way to enter into the field of finance without considering their interest level. Instead, your first step should be to understand what exactly you want to do in the field of finance and then chart out a career path. If you are interested in investments, then pursuing CFA is the right option for you. The CFA Course will prepare you for exciting job profiles like Portfolio Management, Investment Banking, and Risk Management. If you are interested in becoming a Financial Controller, you might require a CPA And if your forte is investing in the stock market, then the Ride Of Investments course by Zell Education could prepare you to become a Stockbroker.
- Take short-term courses to build your financial knowledge: The best way to transition into a finance career is to build a strong understanding of the industry and financial concepts. This knowledge can be gained through several introductory short-term courses that can help you learn more about the industry through relevant case studies. Once you have gained enough knowledge about the industry, you can start taking specific courses that are related to the profession you wish to be in.
- Look for internships to set your footing in this field: This could be the most daunting step considering the fact that you might have to move out of your current position and start from scratch. However, if finance is your calling then the risk might be worth it for you. Try to gain as many skills as possible during your internship period, while taking professional courses like CFA to climb up the corporate ladder.
- Work on your technical, business and management skills simultaneously: Employers these days don’t just look for employees who are only good at what they are hired for but rather possess related skills for seamless work. Having good excel skills, business acumen and problem-solving skills will not only help you gain easy entry into the field of finance but also ace every challenge that comes with it.
We hope that with this detailed article comprising of helpful tips, you are able to transition into a finance career with ease. To start your journey towards a successful career in finance, the best pathway is to pursue a Chartered Financial Analyst degree. This globally recognised degree not only opens doors to worldwide opportunities but also helps you build cutting-edge finance skills. To pursue CFA, contact our experts at Zell Education by clicking on the WhatsApp icon.
How do I switch careers to finance?
You can switch to a career in finance at any point after taking a course in the field you are interested in. The best way to enter into the field of finance is by pursuing a prestigious global financial course like CFA.
Why should one switch to a career in finance?
Finance as an industry has great demand and offers impressive compensation to skilled professionals. Additionally, since this field is quite dynamic in nature there is much to learn. That’s why most people prefer switching to a career in finance.
How do I start a career in finance with no experience?
You can start pursuing short-term finance courses to strengthen your base and then start pursuing internships to gain professional experience. You can also pursue the CFA degree to get the best of both.
Can engineers switch to finance?
Yes, anyone can switch to a career in finance after pursuing a professional course that helps build cutting-edge skills.